Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sew a Vintage Tablecloth Skirt

Have a vintage tablecloth laying dormant in a closet?  Do like I did and repurpose it into a summer skirt!

 
I trimmed off the edges of the tablecloth:
 
 
Then rounded the two corners of what would be the hem line:
 
 
Gathered the top, then using an old hospital sheet (Did you know you can find these at thrift shops for about a buck?!  They're great for sewing projects like this), I made a waist band and sandwiched it over the gathered top before sewing it together.

 
Then I sewed coordinating bias tape along the bottom edge, and walah!
 

Probably the prettiest skirt in my closet!

14 comments:

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

ADORABLE!!! {squealing with joy!}

Laura said...

That turned out so pretty!

Becky said...

Tooooooooo cute!

Betty Lou said...

Thank you for sharing your tablecloth skirt. I looked at vintage tablecloths last week at antique mall and they were $40.00. A bit pricy, Looked at Goodwill but nothing. I have started a new blog "Aprons In The Attic. Hope you will take a look. You inspire me.
apronsintheattic.blogspot.com

~Xo said...

Cute skirt! Very neat idea.

Missy Shay said...

What a great idea!

Unknown said...

Oh I love it!!!

harriette said...

Omgoodness....for real??? So super cute I cant even stand it!! Eeek!!

ImagiMeri said...

Dang, I've had that idea in my head for the past year, but I've yet to finish any of my many started projects, so I can't justify starting yet another one. Very cute Cindy, and of course you look adorable in it.......love the red shoes!

Hugs,
Meri

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

You're calling that waist band an old hospital sheet?
I thought they were blankets...they are a little thicker than a sheet, I think. But...didn't come to quibble over the linens...came to say, I love that little skirt! It is adorable.
Now back to the sheet/blanket... they are so cheap, and I snatch them up whenever I can. I use them as 'slip covers' on my couch, especially when the Littles are visiting. Can be getting Cheese Nips on the furniture!
...where all my hospital blankets have an Orange hue, Pat
:P

Saimi said...

Aren't you a clever one!!! Very cute!

donna said...

What a great idea. I have made aprons before. Thank you for sharing.
Hugs
donna

CoriLynn said...

Soooo cute!
~xoxo, CoriLynn

vintage grey said...

Such a beautiful skirt!! I definitely need to try this!! ;) xo Heather