Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sweet & Bitter


When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ah, Ralph, you remind me to embrace the positive.  Cue the wa wa wah sounds as I Debbie Downer for a moment...

My mother's not been well, really for most of her life, but for the past six months she's gotten much worse.  Long story short, I traveled to California last week (where my family is orginally from), met my sister (she's in San Diego) and drove to Bakersfield to move my mother into a nursing home, sell her house and settle all of her affairs.

(Meet Marilyn!)

I'm back home in Florida now, trying to process everything.  Exhausted.  In shock.  Very sad.  But, feeling pretty good that although I am so far away from her, my mother is in good hands.

Before the "darkness" had a chance to overwhelm me, the "stars" were shining.  Two days after I arrived home, we celebrated a most wonderful event...

My son's wedding!


Davey met Yujin on his first tour of Korea almost three years ago.


True love.  Super long-distance dating.  And now, forever love!  They were married at the court house near our farm and will return to Korea for a formal wedding sometime next year.



A special shout out to my friend Jennifer who made the lovely wedding cake!  Pound cake with buttercreme filling - yum!

Here she is, in her Retro Revival "Let Them Eat Cake" apron, displaying the practice cake:




Jenn can help you out with your cake and cupcake needs; check her out at Cupcake Jennie.

I am so happy and imagining nothing but the best for Yujin and Davey.  Here's to shinning stars!


Please leave a comment on this post, or any of my January posts, for a chance at winning this month's free blog giveaway:


Drawing is January 31st.  Good luck!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Oh Cindy, so sorry about your Mom's situation. Is your Sis close enough to check on her?

And your son's wedding!!! yay! They are a gorgeous couple and I wish them a lifetime of happiness and love! You done good Mom!

Janie E said...

That is such a sweet sweet story! ;p

Cindy said...

Cindy I am sooo sorry for the heartache you had to experience recently with your mom.She does from this picture look at peace with the decision made. I hope I have the grace when it is my time to not be a bear to my girls about putting me in a home!!

Your son's wife is gorgeous!! They look very happy.What a joy she will be for your family!
The cake looked yummy.And you girl are very pretty!!You are always behind the scenes..lol

I will be keeping your son and mom on my prayer list and of course you my friend..for a peace to help you cope with this decision of life.

Hugs and prayers..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

BettyLou said...

So sorry to hear about your mother, my prayers are with you both. What a lovely couple, you will have beautiful grandchildren someday.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I think you should decorate rubber gloves to go with your aprons! How cute would that be? very Retro too

Lallee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. It is difficult to see them failing! (((hugs)))
Congratulations to the bride and groom. They are such a handsome couple. Wishing them God's best blessings for their marriage.

Tammy's in Love said...

Hey Cindy!

I just popped back over and read the old post about Davey's wedding. My two oldest children are adopted from Korea and now...I have the bonus round, grandchildren from our daughter and her husband! She married a Caucasian but the kids have black hair and almond eyes! I must have read your blog when I was a blog 'stalker' before beginning to write my own blog! I remember the pix of them.

Tammy