Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Easy Peasy Pickle Recipe & August Blog Winner

Visiting Wisconsin, my mother-in-law Lois served Refrigerator Pickles with our sandwiches one day.  I asked if they were sweet (I don't like sweet pickles) and she replied, "They're sweet and tart."  Not wanting to be rude, I had to try them - and was pleasantly surprised - delicious!  Then she shared the recipe with me and I thought, well I've never canned before but I can make these!

Lois' Refrigerator Pickles
Ingredients:
12 cucumbers, thinly sliced
2 bell (green) peppers, bite-sized chopped
4 small onions, thinly sliced
2 cups sugar
2 cups white, distilled vinegar
1/4 cup pickling salt
(Note: I had to double the sugar, vinegar and salt to cover all the veggies - cucs I used were huge!)
Directions:
1. Place veggies in a big bowl or container and cover with ice; leave sitting on counter for 2 hours
2. Drain all liquid from container and fill mason jars or other container(s) with veggies
3. Combine sugar, vinegar and salt and stir until well mixed then pour over veggies
4. Close containers, refrigerate and serve anytime after 24 hours
5. Enjoy!
These were fun to make and super duper easy!  And they'll keep in the refrigerator for at least six months.  Hope you'll try them and let me know if you like!
Now to the winner of my August blog giveway...
The winner is NADINE.  Congratulations, Nadine!  Please shoot me an email with your address so I can send you your new cupcake book.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

These do look yummy. Love the pitcher you are using..lol I am all about using my antiques!!

Glad your home.

Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Nadine @ Chic with the Kool-Aid Mustache said...

I thought I remembered you posting a recipe for some really easy pickles so I had to come search for it...my garden giveth abundantly so far and I'm gonna try these.