Thursday, October 20, 2011

Whale or Mermaid {Facebook}

Do you Facebook?  I resisted for years but finally, with the constant urging of my daughter, relented.  I originally joined thinking it'd be a good way to help grow my business, Retro Revival.  It has, and I've expanded my Facebook'ing to now include a business page, where I post product and customer pictures.




There are parts of Facebook that I really enjoy.  I've reconnected with all sorts of people, all the way back from junior high ~ ha!  It's been fun keeping up with my neices and nephews and chatting with old neighbors and co-workers too.  I love looking at everyone's pictures ~ catching glimpses of good times, babies and big events like weddings and holidays.

Then there are the things I hate about Facebook...the changes!  Ugh!  I'm a dweeb and it takes me forever to figure out all the changes!  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's FREE but still!  Wah wah wah!  And the GAMES!  Really?!  Sorry if you like the games.  And the quizes and surveys.  Hate them.

Occassionally, a friend or family member will post something on FB that really moves me.  Sometimes it's a joke or funny video.  Last week it was this:


Along with these words:

A while back, at the entrance of a gym, there was a picture of a very thin, beautiful woman.  The caption was, "This summer, do you want to be a mermaid or a whale?"

A woman answered, "Dear people, whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, seals, curious humans).  They are sexually active and raise their children with great tenderness.  They entertain like crazy with dolphins and eat lots of prawns.  They swin all day and travel to fantastic places.  They sing incredibly well.  They are impressive.  They're dearly loved animals, defended and admired.


"Mermaids do not exist.  But if they existed they would line up to see a psychologist because of split personality disorder: woman or fish?  They'd have no sex life and could not bear children.  Yes, they'd be lovely but they'd be sad and lonely.

"Without a doubt, I'd rather be a whale.  At a time when so many images 'tell' us that thin is the only beautiful, I prefer to eat ice cream with my kids, to have dinner with my husband, to eat and drink and have fun with my friends.


"We women gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.  We're not fat.  We're greatly cultivated.  Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself, "How amazing am I?!"

Best FB post I've seen in a long time!

What do you think?  Share your thoughts here and you're entered to win one of three custom, handmade coin purses from Tracy's Treasures!


I'll draw three winners from all of your October comments on 10/31.  Good luck!
 

19 comments:

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Cindy,
I love Facebook! I enjoy keeping connected with my family and friends. I agree with you! I hate the games and quizes; not for me. Do you want to be a mermaid or a whale? Wow, I haven't seen that before; love it. Super funny; yes us women need more space in our heads for our accumulated wisdom and knowledge. Now, off to check out my Facebook, hee hee.
Smiles, Paula

LAUREN said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

I love Facebook and I try to keep it positive by blocking all the stuff I don't like about it: games, surveys, quizzes, slander! It can be a happy place to stay connected, learn, share and gather info, freebies and recipes. I'm pretty sure I liked your page but will double check to make sure!

Missy Shay said...

What beautiful coin purses! I would rather be a whale, but at the same time, I still have a goal of wanting to be healthy. I'm not concerned about being skinny, but I do need to lose weight to relieve stress off of my heart, ease my asthma, and take the strain off my knees. God wants us to be healthy not say, I can't help it if I am fat so I'll eat whatever I want regardless of the consequences. No, I don't diet and do eat desserts, but I try to make healthy decisions when choosing meals for my family.

Betsy said...

I've seen that post on FB and love it. That said, it's hard to embrace my unwanted curves! ;)

Mrs. W said...

Well, I'd STILL rather be thin! I felt so much better 30+lbs. ago... :D

~Angela

Anonymous said...

I love facebook and I had that photo up on my wall last week...a beautiful woman indeed! I am partial to mermaids but because my body is nowhere near what society deems as perfect, then I choose Whale :)
It is my belief that what matters is that you are medically healthy..the rest is immaterial.

Jingle said...

I think it is a balance. I do want to stay healthy so I can be with my family for as long as I can, but that includes NOT being too thin OR too big. It's important to take care of ourselves.

Cindy said...

Well interesting enough...I am known as Shamu the Whale when I swim....lol

You see I always get black and white swimsuits...Shamu is black and White....When I jump in...there is always a big splash....same with Shamu...my grandchildren love for me to pull them thru the water...so does Shamu..

So I will go for being a whale!!!!

I do love that story. I need to share that.

And I love we can visit on Facebook!

Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

My Vintage Mending said...

Prior to children I enjoyed my single life as a mermaid but not near as much as my time as a whale. Surrounded by my family dining over meals and giggling over silly stories is far more memorable than my desire to be a size zero again. Such a great story I read it out load to my husband. I have stayed away from facebook as I have so much on my plate already...smiles...Renee

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

We saw this last week on a friends post & loved it! Mom wore her apron last week....and she didn't let us snap a pic for you :( she did get lots of compiments on it though!! Have a great weekend Cindy!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

This was such a great post! Really makes you stop and think doesn't it? We have been very slow to embrace Facebook also but our daughter has been telling us for the past several years that we need to be on it and Twitter for our business. We are getting ready to launch our new website and Facebook page next week.So hopefully we will get the hang of pretty quick!!

Laura said...

I love facebook, despite all of the annoying changes. The older I get, the more trouble I seem to have with change. :-) It does enable me to keep in contact with family members and see pictures that my sister's kids post of their own kids. I have lots of friends through our mutual admiration of Laura Ingalls Wilder and we would never all be able to stay in touch, but facebook makes that possible and (usually) very easy!

Getting Hooked said...

I used to have facebook, but I closed it a few months. No regrets for me :)
That is a great post though, and I think the woman pictured is beautiful! But.... my favorite picture you have in this post is of the darling young lady wearing one of your adorable shower caps holding up your card... how cute is that!!

Donna said...

I am on Facebook too! I do not like the new changes. I don't know why they choose the "top" stories for me!
I haven't seen the whale or mermaid on FB. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Donna

quiltjude said...

Healthy and happy I say, love the blog :) and those little purses are absolutely gorgeous

Unknown said...

Words I needed to hear. Over the past 7 years food has been my comfort. Now I am paying for that 80 pounds overweight. Terrible! I had been working with a personal trainer 3 days a week. Started seeing some change and bam! my knees have revolted! I’m taking a series of 3 shots to try and get the swelling down. Second one and hasn’t done much for my knees. Looking at surgery. No gym —and I have gained the inches that I had lost.
So I wanted to be a mermaid with the charms of a whale. Now I am a whale with the attitude of a mermaid!

Dell said...

Cindy, I met you yesterday in McIntosh and purchased 2 of your beautiful aprons. I just adore your vintage style look and I will be back to purchase more!

I realized after visiting your blog that you don't live that far from me. I am a papercrafter and love to make altered projects. I have a craft blog and posted your site so my readers could find you too.

Keep up the fantastic work and thanks for the opportunity tow win those gorgeous mini purses. I know several gals that would adore them!

Dell Richards
www.doodledivadesigns.com

Jenny's Heart said...

I loved this post and shared it on my page too.
I am a whale :)