Thursday, June 23, 2011

Craft Show Results


Well, after seven wildly succesful shows, I experienced a bummer.  Hardly sold a thing.  Kept thinking things would pick up and at the same time wishing I was at home sewing.

The show was part of a high school production of Twefth Night.  Learned throughout the day from the students, the few attendees and the teachers that Shakespeare doesn't draw in big crowds.  To my chagrin, I also found out that not one penny had been spent on advertising!

Lesson learned!  Since I had been a part of three previous productions at this school, I just took for granted that this one would be well attended too.  Next time, I'll be sure to find out how many tickets have sold!

So Dianna and I made the most of the day by meeting the other vendors (sadly, they did not do well either), networking about future show opportunities, and taking lots of pictures.



My vintage tub's been looking a bit shabby lately so Dianna repainted it.  It's all shiny and lovely now, especially since she painted on the name!



Near the end of the day, we got a little punchy.  And by now, you all know how much I love a cheesy picture ~ hahaha!

(Inhaling the sweet scent of my handmade, lavender-infused bath salts)

With so few customers ~ seriously, there were maybe a total of 50 attendees ~ I considered hanging myself on the maypole, but instead...



Hope you're all having a not so bummer start to your summer!

Don't forget this month's blog giveaway ~ these wonderful products from Paula Parrish's Natural Garden Soaps...


If you haven't entered yet, click HERE for chances and to read the rules.  I'll draw the winner on June 30th ~ good luck!

21 comments:

Megan H Carroll said...

I have done craft shows like that... beautiful set and great work!

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Cindy,
Oh yes, summer time crafts shows in Florida are mostly hit or miss. It is just so hot outside and everyone seems to be up north for the season. Last summer we took part in a few shows that seemed to be a bit of a bummer. You and Dianne seemed to make the best of it because your new photos are so fun and cheerful. Love the updates that you made to your vintage tub; just so Cute. I pray that the new connections that you made will work out for you in the future.
Have a wonderful day and keep smiling!
Smiles, Paula

City Chic Country Mouse said...

We've had similar experiences, but at least you made the most of it! Networking is always fun at shows :)

retrorevival.biz said...

Welcome to my blog, Sherry!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it works out well for us, and sometimes it really is just a big bummer!
I'm sorry that things didn't go as well as planned or hoped for, but the photos are fun and the smiles genuine!, so that's not all bad right!
Your creations in your booth look like so much fun, had I been there, I know I would have been inclined to linger!



I'm having a relaxing day on the porch with my coffee and my iPad and with visiting my favourite blogs....it's all good here!



Ciao Bella!



CREATIVE CARMELINA

Jingle said...

I'm sorry it was such a dud of an event, but I'm so glad you made the best of it and had fun anyway!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Cindy, don't get discouraged over the last show. I've done many in the summer just hoping to pay the rent. Need to learn my lesson and just sit down and sew for the upcoming good ones for the Holiday's. I'm starting back to setting up at Canton, TX in August. Love your booth, very eye catching.

Suz said...

You were very cute in these photos. You made the best of it and you looked terrific!

Betty Lou said...

Just look at it as more inventory for the next show. You look cute in your apron!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you made the best of it and had some fun! ♥

The Jacksons said...

What a bummer! Your pictures turned out awesome, though!

Recycled Relix said...

It's not nice when you put sooo much effort in for so little return! Here in Sunny Tasmania, Australia we are in the thick of winter so we have a similar problem - if it is cold or wet the customers and tourists stay inside or home! We have had such a bleak past 6 weeks I have been considering closing for the winter!! But I suffer it out just to keep the regulars happy and the occasional tourist with somewhere to visit. Good luck with your next show!

Jenny's Heart said...

Well at least you made it a good time anyway.
The little tub looks great and I love the dress Diana is wearing, so cute and PERFECT with the apron she has on.

donna said...

I am so sorry you have a bummer show. Your aprons and shower caps are so cute how could anyone even walk by without buying something.
Hugs
donna

Becky said...

Oh boy! I can tell some tales about bad shows........... BUT usually those are the ones where I end up trading with other vendors for cool stuff. Here's to a better show next time.

Chicken Wrangler said...

Your aprons are very cute, appear to be well made. People appreciate a great product and if you are able to hit the right shows, your displays will help do the selling for you! Don't let one sorry show upset you. Cute blog, by the way! Am looking forward to receiving the friendship bag. It's a fun idea, isn't it??

Bring Pretty Back said...

Once I went to a trade show for my candle company - in Arkansas - we live in michigan. It was horrible! same thing- no advertisement etc... Huge waste of time and money.I am sorry you had such a bad show. it wasn't because of your awesome products!
Have a PRETTY day!
Kristin

retrorevival.biz said...

Welcome to Retro Revival, ladies! So happy to have Twyla & Lindsey, the Chicken Wrangler and Whoa, Mamma join my blog:)

Simple Home said...

It sounds like you made the best of a bad situation. Maybe getting a chance to talk to other vendors will lead to your biggest sales yet :)
Have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Marcia

Donna said...

Sorry about the show :( You took some great pictures ... always adorable! Love the tub!
Hugs,
Donna

Kim said...

Just love your aprons! I've seen them on etsy before but didn't know you had a blog. Found you through Cindy at Rick Rack. Stop by the Red Farmhouse sometime.