Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Practical & Pretty Cure for My Back Ache


This vintage photo really captures my thoughts as I iron.  Poor, poor, pitiful me!


I happen to iron a LOT as I sew my aprons and it literally gives me a back ache!  Like in this picture, my ironing board was much shorter than me, and I found myself bending over awkwardly.

Tired of my aching back, I finally got a clue and bought a new board.  And it's awesome!  YES, I am blogging about my ironing board, don't judge me:)

Instead of the usual 32", this sucker stands up to 39"!  I no longer have to bend while ironing - woo hoo!  And it's wider than normal boards!

Because I iron so much, I need to wash the cover every couple of weeks.  Unfortunately, I washed the cover (cold water and air dried), and it shrank.  Dang it!  So I bought another one ~ same one actually because it was the only one I could find to fit my wider board ~ and of course, I've been afraid to wash it, knowing it'll shrink!

Ta dah!  I discovered CityChicCountryMouse on Etsy.  They make gorgeous ironing board covers!

Looky, looky, how pretty!



I bought two so that when one's in the wash, I can still iron:



CityChicCountryMouse, owned by mother-daughter team Jamie (daughter, the City Chic) and Carmen (mother, the Country Mouse), really have eyes for THE most dazzling fabrics.  They specialize in sewn items designed to make household chores more cheerful, fun and lovely.

(Carmen & Jamie.  Photo courtesy SLGdesigns)

Carmen and Jamie's joint venture began after Carmen handed down her old sewing machine to Jamie.  From there, a beautiful business blossomed and they have filled over 1,500 orders on Etsy (they also sell wholesale)!  Ironing board covers, oven mitts, hot pads and sewing machine covers are just a few examples of what they offer ~ their treasure trove of sewing and craft studio, laundry and kitchen essentials are guaranteed to bring cheery beauty to everyday tasks.  I do hope you'll visit their shop and check out their blog at http://citychiccountrymouse.blogspot.com/.

Back ache cured, I'm off to do some more ironing!

Please share your comments with me ~ LOVE, LOVE, LOVE hearing from you! ~ and you're entered to win this month's blog giveaway, a Retro Revival shower cap of your choice.


I'll draw the winner on April 30th.  Good luck!

19 comments:

Into Vintage said...

I too am taller than the average ironing board and sewing definitely = ironing. I covered a drafting table with batting and muslin, adjusted the height (up, please) and now no more back ache. Of course, muslin isn't very cute...

Becky said...

Those ARE pretty ironing board covers. I shall check their shop for more goodies.

What I wanna know is where did you find a taller ironing board? I am not tall but have sewing/cutting/work table set up to 36" and it is wonderfully perfect.

My ironing board was my [Grand]Mama's. From the 50's. Short.

SizzleandZoom said...

Cute post.Completely agree on ironing pain. My
back kills me whenever I iron.

City Chic Country Mouse said...

Thank you so much for the sweet post! Your new covers look so happy in your home!

Paula Parrish said...

I love your new ironing board covers. I just love shopping on Etsy; you can find some many amazing things. Thanks For sharing your ironing adventures.

retrorevival.biz said...

Found my extra tall, extra wide board at walmart.

retrorevival.biz said...

My pleasure, CityChicCountryMouse! I'm lovin' my board now:)

retrorevival.biz said...

I agree, Paula, Etsy rocks!

Janie E said...

Your cute findings never cease to amaze! Re your monthly drawing--Hint Hint: It's my bd month!! ;p

retrorevival.biz said...

Thanks, Janie:) You're entered now for the blog drawing ~ good luck!

Missy Shay said...

I've been sewing and ironing aprons all day too, and my neck is killing me! I'm so glad you told us about the ironing board cover because I shrunk mine in the wash too! LOL

retrorevival.biz said...

These may be perfect for you, Missy! Hoping you'll post pics of your new aprons on your blog:)

donna said...

I love your ironing board cover.
Hugs
donna

Betty Lou said...

I have a friend who LIKES to iron----I just don't understand that. At least not as many of our clothes need to be ironed as in the 50's. Thank goodness for polyester and knits. My mother-in-law used to iron her sheets.

retrorevival.biz said...

Hahahaha, Betty Lou! I don't get it either! But at least my board is pretty now ~ a little something to make the drudgery more pleasant:)

retrorevival.biz said...

Welcome to my blog, ReasonsToSkipTheHousework!

Unknown said...

"yes I'm blogging about my ironing board....dont judge me" made me laugh!! Thanks for following me and introducing me to your adorable and entertaining blog!! I am your newest fan!
Hugs
~Leslie
http://retreauxgirl.blogspot.com

retrorevival.biz said...

Awh, thanks, Retreaux Girl:)

Gemma @ My Big Nutshell said...

Hi Cindy, just found you through your post on Whoa Mamma. Ironing and aprons! we could be sisters! Looking forward to following your blog.