Sunday, July 18, 2010

My First Strawberry Pie

When at the grocery yesterday I couldn't resist the strawberries and picked up three cartons of them after (sneakily) sampling one -- they are so ripe and sweet!
We could've eaten them straight up which is what we normally do, but I've had this strawberry pie recipe for-ev-ah and decided to finally try it.  Here it is:
Fresh Strawberry Pie
Ingredients:
1 9 inch pie crust, baked
1 quart fresh, cut and hulled strawberries (I used 1.5 and you'll see why I should've stuck to the recipe when you scroll down -- duh!)
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Directions:
1. Arrange half of strawberries in pie crust.
2. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving.  Enjoy!
I used too many strawberries and the cooked strawberry mixture overwhelmed my poor crust!  Although it's a bit messy looking (though I do like the red of the berries against the pretty yellow pie plate) it was delicious and I'll definetly make it again!
(Ummm, freshly whipped heavy cream!)
After making the pie I just had to model a couple of my Retro Revival strawberry-themed aprons *wink*.
("Summer Strawberries" apron)
("Strawberries & Cream" apron)
Visit http://www.retrorevival.biz/cart/ to view all of my aprons, strawberry or not!
The real thing or an apron motif, strawberries are one of summer's perfect treats.  Hope you'll try this recipe and let me know what you think as a follower and commentor of this blog and you're automatically entered to win this month's fun, free blog giveaway, this vintage hankie:
(Drawing is July 31st)

1 comment:

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Yummy. Do you think frozen strawberries would work in the end of January?
Susie