The perfect mix of sweet and tart baked into a homemade crust ~ fresh cranberries and cherries make the best holiday pie! Here's my recipe:
4 Cups fresh cherries
1 1/2 Cups fresh cranberries
1 Cup white sugar
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/3 Cup cornstarch
1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
Heavy cream and sugar for sprinkling on top of crust
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Pit your cherries. If your fancy cherry pitter has broken like mine (grr!), use a wooden spoon!
3. In a large bowl, mix together your sugars, cornstarch and almond extract.
4. Add your cherries and cranberries, and very gently toss to coat. Pop your bowl into the refrigerator for 15 or 20 minutes.
5. Make your pie crust. I always use Beth Howard's recipe; click here.
6. Pour your pie filling into your crust. Brush cream and sprinkle sugar onto the top crust.
7. Place into oven, atop a cookie sheet that'll catch any drippings, and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before you dig in!
Despite the near-burning of my crust (still dealing with a temperamental oven), our pie was delicious!
What's your favorite holiday pie? Are you going to have a slice for breakfast?!