Thursday, September 19, 2013

Install a Gallery Wall in 4 Easy Steps {Really! It's Easy!}


 
Sick of seeing the progress of our living room?  It's finished!  After four months, it's finally finished!


There are quite a few tutorials about how to put together a gallery wall out in Blogville, many of them quite complicated.  Pft!  As long as you have someone to help you (my daughter came down from Philly to help me), it's really quite simple!  To achieve an eclectic look, with mismatched frames (size and color), and some depth with pieces that pop out from the wall, follow these steps:

Step 1:  Gather all of the things ~ photos, art work, mirrors, plaques, etc. ~ you think might look nice on the wall.

Step 2:  Measure your gallery space (in my case, the space above our sofa).  Tape off that same area of space on your floor (we used painters tape onto the rug).

Step 3:  Begin arranging your pieces on the floor.  Take your time here.  You'll likely rearrange your pieces several times, and want to step back often to see how things look.


Step 4:  Once you've got your arrangement the way you want it, it's time to start hanging your art on the wall.  Begin by hanging your bottom pieces first, from the right, and working your way left, until your entire bottom row is complete.  Then move up to the row above, again hanging from the right and working your way left.  Continue this process until all of your art is hung.

We took turns hammering nails...

(Natalie's just goofing for the camera!)

...While the other stood back, directing ~ a little to the left, no to the right, no, higher, etc.!

We didn't do any other measuring and happily (maybe surprisingly?), only had to re-hammer/hang two items!  Captain Project (have I told you he was a math major?) was about to pop a vein watching us do all of this without precisely measuring between pieces!

Here it is:


In addition to some of my favorite family photos, these are some of my other favorite goodies:

The handcrafted, rusty, metal M Natalie gave us!

 
The rusty, red clock and brass eagle:
 
 
And my brass deer head and yellow embroidered roses:
 
 
In case you want to know where I found some of these pieces:
 
 
3. Hobby Lobby
4.  Brooklyn Flea (Philly)
5.  Brooklyn Flea (Philly)
6.  Brooklyn Flea (Philly)
9. Hobby Lobby
(All of the other pieces I've had for so long that I can't remember where I found them.)

I am so happy with how this looks.  Every time I walk by the room I look at this wall and smile!

7 comments:

Nadine @ Chic with the Kool-Aid Mustache said...

It looks great! It could be the set for a Mad Men scene...I think you just have to have an eye for this kind of stuff, me...not so much! I can't even figure out what type of lamp to use in my house.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Your gallery wall looks great!! I think it is a very good idea. I may try to change things up on the wall above my king-size head board. It needs something new! Thank you for the inspiration. Looks like you guys had fun. And I love the arrangement :)
Blessings,
Susie

Cheryl said...

Whoa... that looks good enough to be in a magazine! lol... super cute!!!

Paula Parrish said...

Your wall looks fabulous, it gives the whole room a cozy feeling. Happy Fall. ;o)

Connie said...

Love how your gallery wall turned out. I love "shopping" around my own house and finding new combinations and your wall is totally something I would do.

Becky said...

Tis fantastic!!! Poor Captain - he'd stroke out watching me hang stuff. I quit measuring for that years ago.

CoriLynn said...

This is great! Thank you!
~xoxo, CoriLynn