Thursday, February 21, 2013

Foyer Fancy {Foyer Make Over Part 2}

Remember what our family room and foyer looked like when we first bought our home (I shot this pix when looking at the property/previous owners were living here)?



We walled up the loft and now it's our master bedroom.  We replaced the spiral staircase with a traditional one, and used the space under it for built-in storage.  We also decided to create a nook on the foyer side of the wall.

But the nook remained empty.  For a long time.



We didn't know what to do with the space.  Well, Captain Project did.



We finally decided to use it as a showcase for some of our pretty things.


(That's Twyla on the couch.)



I found this antique sewing machine cabinet at the flea market.  Painted and distressed it a bit, and now it holds my vintage tablecloths.





Photos of our childrens' weddings sit on top of the cabinet.



I love these antique frames.



The iron detail!



On the two glass shelves sits part of my vintage china collection.





And a few pottery pieces from my grandmother:



Sure feels good to cross this "to do" off my list!

7 comments:

Missy Shay said...

Does your cabinet have a treadle in it? If it does it is called a parlour cabinet, I really want a parlour cabinet!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Ha! Cap'n Project looks like he is waiting to jump out and scare someone! lol...
Great use of space--I think I like it better with the sewing cabinet and the pitchers.
The stairs are cool too-- I don't know that I'd like a spiral staircase--
Now I'm off to find pictures of your master/loft makeover...
you do have pictures, right?

...make it a good one! Pat

Perfectly Printed said...

What a great update to your house! Love your little nook area! Such a wonderful place to display things that mean so much to you!

chris

Jenny's Heart said...

What a sweet little spot!
I too love the frames, they are perfect on the cabinet.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm so happy I found your blog. Such wonderful posts. You have a new follower and I will be back soon !!
Hugs from The Netherlands.

Unknown said...

I love your house, so beautiful!

Chicken Wrangler said...

WOW! That looks wonderful! I love what you've done there - and you are married to a wonderful guy too! Very nicely done!