Thursday, June 28, 2012

Make this Fresh Blueberry Refrigerator Jam

Lucky us, it's blueberry season here in Florida!  Even better?  A huge blueberry farm just three miles from our place!


Last week we picked 12 pounds, enough to eat them by the handful until our bellies ached.


Enough to bake two huge pies

(Awesome pie book my BFF gave me as a birthday gift)

And enough to cook blueberry jam for the first time.


Making blueberry refrigerator jam is really easy!  Here's how:

1.  Take 5 cups of blueberries (2 and 1/2 pints)


2.  Mash the berries (a food processor works too, but I don't have one and it only takes a couple of minutes to do it with a pastry cutter)


3.  Add 5 cups of sugar to your berries (it's an awful lot of sugar, I know, but no more than store-bought jam)


4.  Mix the sugar into your mashed berries and let sit for 10 minutes


5.  In the meantime, dump a box of fruit pectin and 3/4 cup of water into a sauce pan on medium heat, whisking constantly; let it boil for 1 minute.



6.  Pour boiling pectin into berry/sugar mixture and stir well, for about five minutes, or until the sugar has disolved


7.  Pour your jam into clean/sanitized jelly jars


8.  Wipe away any spillage, cap off, and leave on your counter for 24 hours


After 24 hours, your jam is ready!  It will keep in your freezer for 12 months and once you pull it out and open it, it stays good and fresh for about three weeks.

It's berry, berry good!



This is my last June blog post and your last chance to leave a comment and be entered to win this colorful tray and napkins:


I'll randomly draw a winner from all of your June comments on the 30th ~ good luck!
 

9 comments:

Missy Shay said...

Sounds yummy, I'm going to pin this for future reference!

Old Fashioned Gal said...

I just made a very yummy dessert with blueberries and stawberries last weekend! Your post just made my mouth water because I wish I had a huge bowl of the dessert I made lol!
-Denise

Jasper's Cottage said...

Thanks for the recipe, I see blueberry jam in my immediate future!

Sarah H said...

Yummmmm! I never thought of freezing homemade jam but it's a good idea. Next winter you're really going to appreciate it. Did you think it was too sweet with the 5 cups? I suppose it depends on the sweetness level of the berries.

Enjoy!

Sarah

donna said...

Your blueberries look yummy. We planted 2 blueberries bushes and they are not doing so well.
Hugs
donna

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Oh how I love blueberries....anything! I will have to try the jam, it looks delish :) Yesterday I found a Gingered Blueberry Shortcake that I copied off so I could try ~ yummy!!

Perfectly Printed said...

Thanks for sharing the receipe! Can't wait to try it!

chris

Dorothy Prudie Vintage said...

Love your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Oh, that looks so yummy! I love to make jam every year, but I use the paraffin seal. I should try some freezer jam!
Blessings,
Susie