Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Va Va Voom {Shower Caps for Burlesque}

A couple of years ago, some of my very first shower cap customers were burlesque dancers and as the orders continued to roll in, I began to realize that burlesque was regaining popularity in local theaters across the country.  I wondered if the 2010 movie "Burlesque" was the reason but decided it probably has more to do with the economy.  At its peak in the 1930s and '40s, many people referred to burlesque as, "poor man's theater," and the classic shows poked fun at social class, politicians and musical theater.  With this in mind I added a few burlesque-inspired caps to my line:




Another of my recent customers is Nikki.  She's a member of Lady Luck Burlesque troupe in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  LLB combines broadway musical, comedy and dance with traditional burlesque routines to entertain their audiences.  No raunch or nudity, their elaborate costumes include bustles, hoops and frills, and in one of their routines, my Retro Revival shower cap!  Nikki shared this picture with me:


Razzle dazzle, good old fashioned glamour.  Va va voom!


4 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

Just shows you all the things you can do with the sweet sewing of yours. Smiles...Renee

Michaele said...

Congratulations! I love seeing where your shower caps end up : )

Paula Parrish said...

I love Nikki’s photo, so creative. :) Paula

LAUREN said...

Got to see one of these in person (thanks Cindy!) - fabulous!!!