Thursday, March 29, 2012

Make a Easter Peep Wreath

Last year I was inspired by Our Best Bites blog to try their adorable peep wreath.  It's a fun and easy project, perfect for your spring or Easter decor (I gave it to my mother-in-law and she loved it).

Last weekend I set out to give it another go, made a few changes to simplify it even more; here's how I did it...

This time I opened all my packages and pulled apart the peeps to let them dry out for seven days (it's super humid here in Florida!).  I found the project was much easier with stale/firmer peeps:


After they were sufficiently hardened, I bought a $2 straw wreath from Michael's.  This go-around, I didn't bother unwrapping the clear plastic from the wreath.  Last year when I unwrapped it, it was really messy, with pieces of the straw falling off all over the place.


I poked tooth picks randomly into the wreath...


...and squeezed a healthly drop of craft glue onto the bottom of the peeps (last year I didn't use any glue and some of the peeps fell off the wreath)...



...and impaled the peeps onto the tooth picks:



When finished stabbing all of my peeps (I used 60) onto the wreath, I let it sit and dry for two days before shellacking the entire thing with a clear acrylic sealer.  Last year I didn't do this and the sugar flaked off a bit ~ wanted to discourage ants from munching on the peeps!  Finally, I added a pretty bow:





I gave it to my neighbors Mary and Steve ~ that put a happy smile on their faces.


(Modeling my Retro Revival "Easter Egg Stripes" apron)

(My "Hunny Bunny" apron)

Here's some more peep wreath inspiration from Tumblr:



I've got my eye on #5 for next year!

Share a comment on this, my last post for March, and you're entered to win this sweet, vintage sugar shaker:



I'll randomly draw the winner from all of your comments to my March blog posts on 3/31 ~ good luck!


15 comments:

Angel Jennifer said...

this is so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Impaling peeps! How cute! Or is it cruel? ;)

Jingle said...

This project is TOO CUTE! Oh, and P.S. They taste better that way, too! (stale, that is)

LBP said...

Cute wreath, however I love peeps and would be trying to eat them right off the front door, glue and all!

Blessings

Linda

p.s. don't you love how peeps come in so many colors now??

Michaele said...

The color is outstanding. I had no idea they came in so many colors

Betty Lou said...

This is so cute------if I put it on the front door, the birds would eat it. If I put it in the house----the grandchildren would eat it. lol

Becky said...

I'm with Holly! Cute but poor peeps...

My tummy wants some peeps now.

Catleuenberger@hotmail.com said...

Very cute, I'm going to do this withy daycare kids
Tomorrow!!

Julie Harward said...

I have seen these and I think they are so cute! Love yours with so many on it. My biggest problem is...every time I buy some, I eat them before I can get them on a wreath! ;)

Blessed Serendipity said...

I love your peep wreath. It's so colorful and happy. I think at least a couple of those peeps would of popped right into my mouth instead of on the wreath.

Danielle

Donna said...

I love the peeps wreath and all the colors! I may do this next year.
Hugs,
Donna

donna said...

What a cute idea.
Hugs
donna

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Now that's a whole lot of peeps. I have never been able to stand the little critters. That is for eating. They sure are cute for decorating and I wouldn't mind stabbing a few myself. You sure are a cute bunny!

Anonymous said...

@Lu Ann said... Darling ideas! Love when a good idea is taken to another level that makes it easier for those following behind!

Unknown said...

Really cute! I'd love to win this!