Tuesday, May 31, 2011

# 531 Why I Love Country Life


Out and about recently with my sweet daughter-in-law, I slammed on the brakes, swerved to the side of the road and HAD to snap a picture of this sign:


What?  Really?!

Wait, take a picture of me by the sign!


My "city" friends will not believe me otherwise.  Hahahaha!

Naturally, we then had to follow the signs...



...to this roadside fruit stand.  We picked up ripe, locally-grown strawberries and boiled peanuts:


Intrigued by the very idea of gator jerky, we bought some of that too:


My son, the jerky connoisseur, liked it:


We all liked it, but laughed and joked that it tasted remarkably similar to Slim Jim jerky.  But a lot more expensive.  Hmmm???

Yujin wanted to learn how to make strawberry jam, so we whipped up nine jars with the fresh berries (my recipe from a prior post here):


Living out here in the hills of Florida is the best, where fruit and veggie roadside stands are abundant all year long!  And where else would you find gator jerky?!

Is there something uniquely quirky (think gator jerky) where you live?  Do tell and you're entered to win this month's Retro Revival blog giveaway:


I'm drawing the winner tonight, so please be sure to enter today.  Good luck!

LINK LOVE: Trying something new with this post.  I follow soooo many great blogs that you may not know about, so I'm going to begin linking to other blogs in each of MY posts; let me know what you think, OK?  Today's link is to Already Loved; check it out!

19 comments:

Donna said...

Cindy,
The jam looks delicious! You are very lucky to have fesh veggies all year long.
Around here there is a small burger place that makes their own grape ice cream and people come just to eat it. May get me some this week :)
I am not much of a jerky fan and I don't know about gator jerky! LOL
You have the cutest dresses! Do you make them yourself?
Have a good day,
Donna

retrorevival.biz said...

@Donna ~ grape icecream! That's interesting!

This is my favorite vintage dress:) Bought it from one of my bloggie friends, Becky from Becky Sews!

retrorevival.biz said...

Welcome to my blog, Jen Spaeth! Hope you enjoy your visits:)

Diana and LaDonna said...

Oh, I want some gator jerky! No matter where we live, the quirky stuff is always in our house! My husband hunts and we eat anything! Our friends never know what they will find in our refrigerator!

LaDonna

Yujin Cho said...

Thank you for letting me have a fun experience and the posting :D

retrorevival.biz said...

@LaDonna & Diana ~ you GOTTA blog about THAT!

Jingle said...

What a fabulous little fruit stand! And sounds like a bit of fun, too! :-) We probably have stuff, but, then again...it all seems normal to me! HA!

Into Vintage said...

I wonder where they got the gator? Just sayin'... Out here in my little corner of Oregon, the area I live in is called the Fruit Loop because there are lots of orchards and farm stands but no jerky stops. If there were, I imagine they'd be selling local raccoon or skunk jerky.

Ew.

Suz said...

We have fruit stands but nothing exotic here. They mostly sell strawberries here and they are delicious.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Love your blog, and I'm a follower now :)

retrorevival.biz said...

@Into Vintage ~ I'm loving the name of your area (Fruit Loop)! The idea of raccoon or skunk jerk, uhm, not so much!

retrorevival.biz said...

@Amanda ~ Thank you, Amanda! Just trying to spread a little love:)

Becky said...

Well, round here I am about the quirkiest thing! ;)

Gator jerky!? Lordamercy. I bet BillHubby would like it.

I agree - that is the cutest dress you own.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so fun to look at! Thanks for your visit! I'm following you, come by anytime!

Ciao Bella!

CREATIVE CARMELINA

Anonymous said...

I'm the quirkiest thing around here...just like Becky!



lol

Ciao gain!

CREATIVE CARMELINA

retrorevival.biz said...

Welcome to my blog, Carmelina! I love all of my followers, especially the quirky ones:)

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Cindy,
We live in Nokomis Florida which borders the city of Venice along the Gulf Coast line; Venice Beach is known as “The Shark's Tooth Capital of the World”. You can find sharks teeth laying on the beach or in the water on any given day and people come from all over the USA and world to collect them from our beaches.
I would not eat gator jerky yuck but my husband and sons love it. Now, homemade Strawberry Jam sounds really yummy to me. Your son and daughter in law Yujin make an adorable couple. I am heading over to “Already Loved” blog to check it out. Have a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing!
Smiles, Paula

retrorevival.biz said...

@Paula Parrish ~ lucky you, living so close to the sea!

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Cindy, over here in England we don't have anything as quirky as that! When I was young it wasn't uncommon for the 'Parson's nose' of the chicken to be eaten by some people (that's the, er, 'rear' part of the chicken!!)

Thanks for adding me to your sidebar - not sure I know how to add the photo, hope someone else can help. Clare x